Thursday, January 7, 2021

Utter disbelief and paralyzing sadness


 I started my day finishing up the quilt from yesterday. The TV was on and I had hoped to watch Congress validate the Electoral College results. It was history, and I watch historical programming. Then, the unthinkable happened.Our sitting president incited his crowd to riot. Plain and simple.

I watched in horror as a mob of thugs wearing Trump hats and carrying Trump flags and placards overwhelmed the security and trashed our nation's capitol. What is going on? I wept as I saw them walking through the rotunda, snapping selfies and knocking over stanchions that were seen only minutes earlier when a few radical congress and senate members objected to the vote count in Arizona.

The smashed their way into the senate chamber and rifled through senator's desks. Stealing and trashing the contents of senate offices. Breaking windows, knocking out doors and rejoicing in their destruction.

Mobsters outside ran off the press and destroyed their equipment. They laughed and shouted obscenities while committing crimes. 

In the end, four people are dead. One shot to death. My country and the institutions and edifices I love soiled with the unconscionable actions of misguided Americans. I see these people in the grocery store and on the street wearing their mega hats and sporting shirts with ugly taunts. I see their trucks with the giant Trump flags in the bed, driving around with pride in being cult followers of a deranged autocrat. I fear for our country and our safety.

Needless to say, I didn't get any more work done. Transfixed to the coverage on the TV screen and unable to process what was happening. Shame on the president, and shame on those who have continually enabled this president's ugliness. 

I hope I will find some solace in quilting. 


1 comment:

  1. Yesterday was horrible. It is not an excuse, but the man is mentally ill. He is a sociopath and the behavior he shows is typical of a sociopath. My sister was a sociopath and exhibited the same types of behavior. The next 12 - 13 days are going to be bad. He put out a video today, but he wasn't sincere. He can only behave like a normal human being for a short time before he will have to urge to lash out at anyone he can thinking it is a way to change the circumstances. It is going to be a long 13 days.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.