Friday, September 18, 2020

Busy day with not much to show

Yesterday was a transition day in the studio. The first two vintage quilts have been washed and are ready to go home. Number three needs a bit of repair, and number four will begin its transformation today. I quilted one giant quilt that took the entire day to do. 42 rows of clamshell quilting. It turned out beautifully and I copied and wrote down the block patterns for future use. 

Number one looks good as new and ready to be used.

Number two also came out well. I'm glad I added a couple of color catchers to the wash, as the black fabric in this one bled. 

This is a fabulous quilt! Huge, but perfectly constructed with a gorgeous collection of Japanese fabrics.

I chose a clamshell pattern called Blowing Grasses for the quilting.

The backing is this lovely gold on cream oriental.

If you were to come to the studio yesterday, you would know that a serious quilter lives here! What a mess!! There are quilts everywhere and even I think I need to get rid of some of them. I took in seven quilts and the customers take about a half hour each to interview and discuss their quilts. That chews up time in my day, but it is part of the job. I am also starting a new repair, and that takes time, too. Picking fabrics for the repair and putting a safety pin in all the places that need attention.

Poor old Big Gammill is swathed in quilting projects. Sometimes it pays to have a 12 foot table to drape things on for examination. The next repair is draped over the rail. All of this has to move from the machine since I have to start a custom job here!

From the other end  of the room, both machines full of quilts, the cardboard box full of quilts to go various places (all mine, either for charity or sale), the finished oriental quilt and the newly laundered vintage quilts.

I have to go to the studio a bit early today because I am having a Zoom  meeting with a couple of girls from Texas who want me to do a virtual demonstration and talk about fixing vintage quilts for their show in February. They are going to instruct me on how to make the demo and what is involved in doing it over the internet. I am so bad at computer stuff, I don't know if I can learn it, but I'm willing to give it a whirl. It may even be fun! We'll see.






2 comments:

  1. I'm part of the group from Texas! I am so excited that you are helping us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have started looking at the instructional; videos and think, with a lot of work and study, I'll be able to do it.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.