Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Triumphs and mistakes

 Steeled up for a battle, I got the next quilt in the queue and started to work at 10:00. The day began with the measuring as I always do, and the discovery that the quilt is 81x91 and the backing was 63x103. Hmmmm. I measured again and got the same result. I needed to add 28 inches of width to the back in order to be able to do the quilting. I have not done quilts for this customer before, and I saw when they came in that there were sewing flaws needing to be rectified before I could quilt them. We even talked about me fixing the mistakes and she was happy to let me do it. I went to the stash and found a blue fabric that was the color of the roses in the backing fabric, and deconstructed and reconstructed the backing. One hour. Then, I set to starching and pressing the top to see how much of it I could coax into straightness. I added a couple of new seams in the borders to take up the fullness, and fixed a couple of open seams. Two hours had gone by before I got the quilt loaded and ready to go. It took until 5:00 to quilt, manipulating and the fabric to avoid tucks and pleats while Millie chugged along. For all it's problems, I think it looks okay.

Lots of mistakes in the construction, but it is still sweet and will keep someone warm at night.

Panto: Splat

The backing fabric. My big piece is the blue color and is right down the center of the back.

The next cowboy project is a BQ2. This design is easy to make and results in a fairly large quilt. I chose a beige basketweave fabric for the background and an ethnic looking print for the small contrasting strips.

Because BQ blocks are turned different ways to make the design, I put the cowboy fabrics up in a pleasing array so I could keep them right side up during the block construction.



I made and cut the strip sets and sewed them in the correct position for each block, keeping them arranged on the design wall so I could see any mistakes. So far, so good.

I made the final section of the blocks, but when I went to add them, discovered I had sewn all the accent strips to the wrong side!! I'll begin my day with some reverse sewing...




1 comment:

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.